I didn’t really start using Instagram until recently. The photo sharing site is owned by Facebook and I’ve never been a fan of their terms-of-service and business practices. But as a professional photographer it was becoming increasingly difficult to avoid Instagram’s impact on the landscape of photography so I succumbed and finally signed up to join Instagram this past year.
If you are new to Instagram yourself (not likely) or just want to inject some Montana love into your Instagram account then this is just the place for you. I have collected 25 of my favorite Montana Instagram accounts that everyone in Montana should follow. They are photo feeds that belong to Montana photographers (amateur and professional alike), travel bureaus, and businesses. But all of them share one thing in common…an obvious affinity for the great state of Montana.
So, in no particular order, I give you the 25 Montana Instagrammers you should follow:
1. Ami Vitale has one of the most epic accounts on Instagram. The fact that she hails from Montana only makes it that much better. We won’t hold the fact that she uses Nikon cameras against her.
Photo by @amivitale. Ranchers herd cattle at Yellowstone Grassfed Beef, (@yellowstonegrassfedbeef) a unique conservation-friendly ranch that is a partner to J-L Ranch (@jbarlmontana) nestled in the wide open land of western Montana just outside of Yellowstone National Park. These ranchers believe in and practice low stress livestock handling, which translates into some of the most mellow cows I’ve ever seen. There was no yelling, no stressed cows and the calves were suckling milk from their mothers as the branding was going on. It was the quietest branding I’ve ever seen. @natgeocreative @thephotosociety @nikonusa @natgeo #jbarlmontana #centennialvalley #yellowstone #natureisspeaking #conservation #montana #cows #nature #animals #seetheworld #bestdestinations #nikonnofilter #nofilter #nikon #d4s #nikonambassador #photojournalism #montana #americanwest #montanamoment #montanagram #montanalife #montanalove #montanasummer #summer #west #inspiring #amivitale
2. Glacier Country Tourism has a wonderful feed of photos and fun…one of the best Montana destinations on Instagram. And in real life, too.
3. Bozeman based Simms Fishing Products has such a wonderful stream of photos on its Instagram accounts it makes me want to fly fish. And I don’t even fish at all.
4. Everyone thinks about Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks, but the official Instagram account for Montana State Parks reminds us there are many beautiful state parks in between, too.
Some days you just have to find a nice bench and watch the sunrise. Photo by @andyaustinphoto at Makoshika State Park. • • • #mtstateparks #mtexploremore #montanamoment #montana #makoshikastatepark #makoshika #southeastmontana #getoutdoors #getoutside #projectexplore #adventure #montanagram #bestofmontana #neverstopexploring #optoutside #mtbigskyseries #bigskycountry #exploremore #departedoutdoors #wanderlust #sunrise #scenic #findyourpark #unplugged #nature #travelawesome #keepexploring #letsgosomewhere
5. Myke Hermsmeyer is an endurance sports and adventure photographer based in Montana and his photos show places in Big Sky county many of us will never see in person.
6. The Southwest Montana tourism district maintains a nice Instagram feed of photos and is a must follow if you are a Montanan, whether you live in southwest Montana or not.
7. Montana Maggie captures and shares beautiful Montana photos almost daily on her Instagram account almost daily. It’s one of the best photo feeds out there.
8. Krissa Muonio is based somewhere in Montana west of the Rockies. And her photos are stunning.
9. Holly Horning is lives on a ranch and her photos shed some wonderful light on ranching life from the perspective of a real Montana cowgirl.
10. Sarah Calhoun’s Red Ants Pants is an inspiration for any Montana entrepreneur and their Instagram account is a must for anyone who considers themselves a true Montanan.
11. Donnie Sexton is the official photographer for the Montana Office of Tourism and her photos on Instagram are always a treat.
12. The Great Falls Tribune maintains a wonderful photostream of timely and relavent photos on Instagram and is well worth following.
13. No list of Montana Instagrammers is complete without the official photo feed from Yellowstone National Park. They regularly post beautiful photos from inside everyone’s favorite national park.
14. The Yellowstone Country travel district’s Instagram feed features photos of the many beautiful and scenic places through out the greater Yellowstone region and the many activities that happen there regularly.
15. A native of White Sulphur Springs, Annie Bailey is a graphic artist and photographer who conveys her love for the state through her photography.
16. The official Glacier National Park account on Instagram is filled with photos from staff and visitors to the Crown of the Continent and all of the beauty it holds.
17. I don’t know Heidi Howeth’s story, but I fell in love with her photos on Instagram the moment I first saw them. You will too.
18. I don’t usually like to give kudos to California interlopers, but the photos of Montana made by Morgan Phillips are stunning and well worth following on Instagram.
19. This is the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Instagram account, which includes many great photos of Montana wildlife.
A big smile to match a big catch. This 13.3 pound monster walleye was pulled out of Fort Peck Reservoir a couple weeks ago. Photo by @b_z_montana_outdoors #MyMontanaWinter #icefishing #winterfishing #montanafishing #catchoftheday #fishstory #fortpeck #walleye #hardwater #fishMT #montanawinter #montanamoment #montanalife #bestofmontana #montanagram #optoutside #montanaoutdoors #montanawild